Every year, the UK government holds trade talks with the government of Vietnam through the Joint Economic and Trade Committee (JETCO). These talks are an important forum for building on existing trade relationships and addressing business concerns between our two countries.
This year, the 11th annual JETCO meeting will take place in Hanoi on the 4th of October.
Vietnam’s economy growth hit 10-year record height at 7.1% in 2018, maintaining the country’s position as one of the world’s most promising emerging economies. It commits to rule-based liberalising trade system with around 15 FTAs under implementation or negotiation process, remarkably the entry into force of CPTPP on 14 January and signature of EU-Vietnam FTA on 30 June. These open up greater opportunities for the UK businesses and investors.
Bilateral trade between the UK and Vietnam is up around 10% year-on-year. Aiming at further facilitation for the UK goods, services and investment accessing Vietnamese market, the UK government is keen to hear your views to shape the JETCO agenda.
The Department of International Trade (DIT) would appreciate UK businesses’ feedbacks on the following areas:
- What are your experiences and concerns about doing business in and with Vietnam? Please provide examples.
- Do you have specific recommendations that could improve the business environment and foster better UK-Vietnam trade relationships?
- Do you have examples of good business practices in Vietnam and government policies are working well?
- What could DIT do to encourage and support you to increase your footprint in Vietnam?
- Your company name and contact point.
While it may not be possible to address all issues raised during the talks, DIT would be pleased to discuss your feedback through other channels.
Background on the UK-Vietnam JETCO
The UK-Vietnam JETCO was established in 2007. These government-to-government talks are held annually with location alternates between the UK and Vietnam. The 10th round of talks took place in Manchester in June 2018, where the UK focused on 5 themes:
- Vietnam business environment, focusing on proper enforcement of intellectual property right
- UK exports meat and poultry to Vietnam
- Promote trade and cooperation in education sector
- Framework to establish UK pharmaceutical enterprises in Vietnam and local clinical trial requirement for vaccines
- Taxation and the Vietnam business environment
Please email your feedback to Cao Thanh Diep, Trade Policy Adviser at DIT Vietnam via Cao.Diep@fco.gov.uk by Wednesday 31 July 2019 at the very latest.