Welcome to BBGV
I would like to welcome BBGV. This year is an important year as it marks the 45th anniversary of diplomatic relations berween the UK and Vietnam. The past year has been a busy one or BBGV. New board members have established themselves and the executive, have built on previous years successes to retain BBGV’s position as a leading UK business voice in Vietnam. BBGV is proud of its strong and loyal membership, who have achieved so much during 2017.
Our achievements in the FY 2017/18 include:
• The Membership numbered 184 companies and 485 members, increased membership by 4%
• BBGV ran some 50 business and social events, including high-level governmental meetings to improve the working environment for members’ businesses, in Vietnam.
• Initiated Meet Your Embassy and Meet Your Consulate events in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh.
• Offered complimentary training courses in marketing for members in Hanoi.
• Raised more than 1.7 billion NET VND which provided many charity projects with funds, contributing to the reduction of poverty and illiteracy. Examples include: Operation Smile, Saigon Children’s Charity, Blue Dragon, Green Viet, Huong La Centre for Disabled and Abandoned Children, Christina Noble Children’s Foundation and more.
• Maintained strong and transparent financial and governance processes.
• Developed a British business advocacy channel to support British business, with a view to post Brexit.
The Business Centre, operates financially independently from the Chamber/ Secretariat, with financial support from the Department for International Trade (DIT). The Business Centre forms part of the DIT Overseas Partner Delivery programme. Working with UK companies looking invest or export to Vietnam the Business Centre continued to make progress in its aim to be independent of grant funding. During 2017/18 the Business Centre successfully delivered:
• 37 chargeable services.
• Total income of more than £130,000 with £80,000 Grant Funding, and over £50,000 generated from commissioned services – 10.4% in excess of the annual target
• Posted 163 Export Opportunities for UK businesses
• Converted 43% of its written proposals to chargeable services.
• Supported UK companies to reach an Export Win value of over £23m.
The close partnership with the DIT, in Vietnam, benefitted the Business Centre and 2017/18 saw the Business Centre take on operational work across all business sectors. Wherever possible BBGV continues to match our member companies with the new companies entering into Vietnam.
I would like to thank the Board members who have given their time freely, all BBGV sponsors and partners, whose support has enabled us to achieve so much. The support given from by our sponsors, British International School, British University of Vietnam, Jardines Group, TRG, Etihad, Vietnam Airlines, Diageo and MK Cards have been invaluable.
BBGV enjoys a close association with British Chambers of Commerce and Britain in SE Asia (BISEA). The excellent relationship with the British Embassy and the Consulate General provides a strong base for a great deal of our work. We look forward to working with our members in the current year and to your continued success.