Message from Chris Jeffery - BBGV Chairman
Welcome to BBGV
The past year has been a busy one or BBGV. New board members have established themselves and the executive, have built on previous years successes to retain BBGV’s position as a leading UK business voice in Vietnam. BBGV is proud of its strong and loyal membership, who have achieved so much during 2018.
Our achievements in the FY2018/19 include:
- The Membership numbered 191 companies and 512 members, increased membership by 4%
- BBGV ran some 60 business and social events, including high-level governmental meetings to improve the working environment for members’ businesses, in Vietnam.
- Initiated Meet Your Embassy and Meet Your Consulate events in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh.
- Offered complimentary training courses in language training for members in Hanoi and HCMC.
- Raised more than 2.3 billion VND which provided many charity projects with funds, contributing to the reduction of poverty and illiteracy. Examples include: Operation Smile, Saigon Children’s Charity, Blue Dragon, Green Viet, Huong La Centre for Disabled and Abandoned Children, Christina Noble Children’s Foundation and more.
- Maintained strong and transparent financial and governance processes.
- Founded the British Advocacy Committee to support British business, with a view to post Brexit.
The Business Centre, operates financially independently from the Chamber/ Secretariat, with financial support from the Department for International Trade (DIT). The Business Centre forms part of the DIT Overseas Partner Delivery programme.
Working with UK companies looking invest or export to Vietnam the Business Centre continued to make progress in its aim to be independent of grant funding. During 2018/19 the Business Centre successfully delivered:
- 40 chargeable services.
- Total income of more than £138,000 with £78,000 Grant Funding, and over £60,000 generated from commissioned services – 14.75% in excess of the annual target
- Posted 53 Export Opportunities for UK businesses
- Converted 43% of its written proposals to chargeable services.
- Supported UK companies to reach an Export Win value of over £18m.
The close partnership with the DIT, in Vietnam, benefitted the Business Centre and 2018/19 saw the Business Centre take on operational work across all business sectors. Wherever possible BBGV continues to match our member companies with the new companies entering into Vietnam.
I would like to thank the Board members who have given their time freely, all BBGV sponsors and partners, whose support has enabled us to achieve so much. The support given from by our sponsors, British International School HCMC, British University Vietnam, Jardine Matheson Group, TRG International, Qatar Airways, Vietnam Airlines, Diageo and MK Smart Cards have been invaluable.
BBGV enjoys a close association with British Chambers of Commerce and Britain in SE Asia (BISEA). The excellent relationship with the British Embassy and the Consulate General provides a strong base for a great deal of our work.
We look forward to working with our members in the current year and to your continued success.
Please feel free to contact BBGV on email@example.com, or our Executive Director Peter at firstname.lastname@example.org or myself to raise any matters.